Sunday, December 03, 2017

Alternative Blade Runner 2049 Soundtrack


Being a science fiction & electronic music geek, it's no surprise that I'm a big fan of the soundtrack for the original Blade Runner film.  When I heard that they'd tabbed Johann Johannsson to do the score for the 2049 film I was very excited.  But then he was pulled from the project & replaced with Hans Zimmer.  While I've actually liked a few of Zimmer's recent scores, I wasn't overly impressed with his music for 2049.  It wasn't that I disliked it.  I think I was just disappointed that it wasn't Johannsson.

My son, however, liked the soundtrack much more than I did.  So much in fact that he went home after seeing the film, created his own track in the 2049 style and sent it to me the next day.  I was impressed with the track and immediately made plans for a Blade Runner mix.

The music here is a collection of tunes that sounds like it fit perfectly in Blade Runner 2049.  In searching for music I was happy to have rediscovered Xerrox, Vol. 2 by Alva Noto, such a great album.  I was also excited to find music and artists I'd not heard before like Ital Tek, Floating Machine & Island People.

Here's a link to my son's track which appears in the mix as track #3 - "Blade Running" by Just a Human.




Also here's his latest EP - 




Cheers!


[ s t r e a m ]    [ d o w n l o a d ]    [ i t u n e s ]



T R A C K L I S T :

  • 00:00    Alva Noto - Xerrox Moonphaser 2
  • 05:00    Ital Tek - Jenova
  • 10:10    Just a Human - Blade Running(unreleased)
  • 12:18    36 - Black Future
  • 16:05    Ryuichi Sakamoto - life, life
  • 20:00    Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross - The Same Dream
  • 23:51    Floating Machine - Nowhere
  • 30:40    Island People - vogelsang
  • 35:25    Andreas Tilliander - Syncussion Discussion
  • 40:10    Boards of Canada - Transmisiones Ferox
  • 41:35    Arovane & Hior Chronik - Into My Own
  • 45:35    Ryuichi Sakamoto - Fullmoon
  • 47:30    Island People - from the sky
  • 54:35    Alva Noto - Xerrox Moonphaser 1
  • 61:40    end












6 comments:

.DMG said...

awesome, thank you. are you going to another cinematic release? they are so so good.

Low Light Mixes said...

Hi, I'm glad you liked this mix! Yes I'll probably do another cinematic mix or two in the next 6 months. Right now I have a couple of other things in the hopper. Cheers!

shamaniam said...

really you have a great sensitivity to themes and sounds. another low light pleaser. many thanks... :)

Vaughn said...

Not sure what happened between Denis and Johann but his death at 48 makes me wonder if other elements might've gone into that split. That said, I was surprised at how much Zimmer seemed to appropriate Johannsson's style for the film.
With the remake of Dune on the horizon the mind reels at what he could have done with that film...

InternerdX said...

Hey, Dave, does you son have other music to hear? Not just Any Human!

Low Light Mixes said...

Jp, Most his other music would be classified as downtempo or lo-fi beats. Here's a link to his most recent EP... https://open.spotify.com/album/1IfQAPjWi4AcZ5QlvEi4px?si=l9IR7h0ATBCeGloWltazHA